Monday, September 03, 2007

FRANKENSTEIN LAYOUT CHANGES

While starting a page of Frankenstein yesterday, i realised i really wasn't happy with the layout i was going to use. It calls for Victor remembering back to his childhood. Below is the approved layout....




















I drew this layout as it was called for in the script. The top two panels, i was happy with, but the large third panel was bugging me. Thing is, i'm not mad aout these kinds of shots. Like circular 'insert' panels, they feel too 'comic-booky' me. Not that i don't think they're useful, i'm not putting those techniques down, i just don't feel comfortable doing them myself, is all.




















So, i suggested a layout like the above one, where the transition moves down the page. I much preferred this, but my art director felt it would work better for the monster, rather than Victor, and suggests a different way of doing it...




















So taking his thoughts into consideration, i came up with this. More of an Alan Davis-esque technique. I've never tried it before, so i hope the end result turns out okay.


Dec .

5 comments:

Alan (with one L) said...

I fully accept your point over the first design but I also agree with Jon that the second it just too menicing. Victor is ment to be ceribal so I really like the final blend.

Stephen Mooney said...

I like them all compositionally, but have to agree that, considering the character, the third suits the material best.

Declan Shalvey said...

Thanks for the input guys.
Just finished pencilling the page, lookin' good so far

Anonymous said...

is there such a technique as 'alan davis-esque'?
/flips open 'art of alan davis' book... oh yeah,so there is...
loving the art so far,though.

Declan Shalvey said...

Thanks Jamie, if you have an 'art of Alan Davis' book, then you've got good taste, but that doesn't explain why would like my stuff!